Friday, December 7, 2007

REVIEW: Complete Course in Magic with Cups & Balls


I hadn't seen a review of this DVD set so I thought I would post my first review. I received this DVD set as a promo about 6 months ago and just got around to really spending some quality time with the material. I wanted a Balls and Cups DVD and Penguin had it as a promo so I went against the conventional wisdom (Michael Ammar Cups and Balls DVD #1 and #2) and got Eddy Ray set instead. This is a two DVD set and currently sells for 37.95.

I can't really compare the quality of this set to the Michael Ammar Cups and Balls DVDs because I never seen them. However, I did a move by move comparison and they are very comparable from a content standpoint. The Ammar set appears to have a little material that is not on the Eddy Ray set however the reverse is also true (more on that in just a sec).

The Eddy Ray has about 80 sections broke into the following categories.



    DVD 1
    Introduction (props, terms and the professional routine)
    Essentials moves and Sleights
    Holding Out
    Essential Secret Loads
    Steal Balls from The Tabled Cups
    Faking the Load
    Cup Manipulations

    DVD 2
    Wand Manipulations & Moves
    Starting Your Routine
    Starting Sequences
    Middle Sequences
    Final Loads
    Final Sequences
    Final Load Revelations (Rhythms)
    Roy Benson Bowl Routine
There are also 2 performances clips

The DVD is well produced. It has a classical music sound track which I like (I can imagine some people might not). The teaching is a tad dry but very good. Ray occasionally flashes but overall he seems to be a very capable Cups and Balls performer.

Being a noob to the Balls and Cups, I didn't understand the organization of the material at first. Once I got midway through the 2nd DVD it all became clear and I got excited about the possibilities. You really are given the building blocks to creating your own routine. The building blocks are roughly presented as a series of beginnings, middles, and endings.

There are a few things that are on this DVD that I gather may not be on the Ammar DVD. These are:



    The Eddy Ray Advanced Stack Move - loading two balls into the same nested cup.
    The Eddy Ray Cheat Move - a better version of the Click Move - this is one of the best moves on the DVD.
    Francis Carlyle's Proposition Bet - not really a trick - more of an optical illusion
    Four wand spins
    Wand Appearance with a silk
    Wand Disappearance with a silk
    Eddy Ray Wand vanish
    Roy Benson Bowl Routine


The Roy Benson Bowl Routine is a bonus. Basically a single cup (bowl) routine with sponge balls. His final load is a deck of cards so it is a really great transition routine.

My only complaint was that I wish Ray provided a little more instruction on misdirection, acting, patter and presentation.

I have 12 instructional magic DVDs and this is one of the best I have so far. I give this DVD set a 8/10 rating. He lost points for some lazy editing on the second disk and a dry presentation.

Editor's Note 10/6/08: I have 33 DVDs now and it's still one of my favorite DVDs simply for the sheer wealth of material.


No comments:

Popular Posts

White Zombie

White Zombie
The illusion not the band! See my post entitled Basement Secrets!